|Declared Fossicking Area||Nil required||Nil required|
|Vacant Crown Land||Nil required||Nil required|
(i.e. Pastoral Lease or Perpetual pastoral lease)
|7 days Notification required to landowner or occupier||Nil required|
|Pastoral Land if area is being used for pastoral activity or if fossicking is within 2 km of a homestead or 1 km of a stockyard.||Not applicable||14 days Notification (Fossicking Request) to the landowner/occupier required to obtain written consent.|
|Granted or application area of an Extractive Mineral Exploration Licence (EMEL)||Nil required||Nil required|
|Application area of an Exploration Licence (EL)||Nil required||Nil required|
Granted area of an Exploration Licence (EL)
(1) Not Fossicking for gold
|Nil required||Nil Required|
|(2) Fossicking for gold||7 days Notification to mineral title holder||Nil Required|
|(3) Fossicking for gold on EL area where authorised activity is being conducted||Not applicable||14 days Notification (Fossicking Request) to the landowner/occupier required to obtain written consent.|
Granted or application areas of;|
Mineral Lease (ML)
Extractive Mineral Permit (EMP)
Extractive Mineral Lease (EML)
|Not applicable||14 days Notification (Fossicking Request) to the mineral title holder or applicant required to obtain written consent.|
Reserved Land (Mineral Titles Act)|
if not a declared fossicking area
|Not applicable||14 days Notification (Fossicking Request) to Department Primary Industry and Resources required to obtain written consent.|
|Private Land (i.e. NT Freehold, Crown Lease in Perpetuity, Crown Lease Term, Special Purpose Lease)||Not applicable||14 days Notification (Fossicking Request) to the landowner/occupier required to obtain written consent.|
|Aboriginal Land or Aboriginal Community living area||Not applicable|
|Park or Reserve||Not applicable||
14 days Notification (Fossicking Request) to the landowner required|
to obtain written consent.
- Fossicking is a provision of the Mineral Titles Act and Mineral Titles Regulations (regulations) which are administered by the Mineral Titles Division of the Department of Primary Industry and Resources.
- Before entry onto some land to fossick, a person must give at least 7 days’ written notice
(a Fossicking Notice) to the landowner or occupiers of the land (regulation 100).
- In circumstances where written consent is required, a person must give at least 14 days’ written notice (a Fossicking Request) to the landowner, occupier or mineral title holder of the land seeking consent to fossick (r103).
- It is important to note that in some circumstances, a Fossicking Notice or Fossicking Request will need to be sent to (and consent obtained from) multiple people such as landowners, occupiers and/or title holders dependent on the type of land tenure fossicking is intended (section 142). Refer to individual requirements shown in the attached table.
- A Fossicking Notice or Fossicking Request must include (r100):
- A statement that the fossicker intends to fossick on the relevant land (for a Notice only)
- The name and full contact details of the fossicker/s;
- A description or map of the area where the fossicker intends to fossick on the relevant land, clearly indicating the location;
- Details of any proposed camping site on the relevant land;
- A brief description of the nature of fossicking;
- The equipment to be used for the fossicking;
- The date of intended entry onto the relevant land to start fossicking (which must be at least 7 days after the date on which the notice is given);
- An estimate of the duration of the fossicking.
A Fossicking Notice/Request form can be downloaded from the Department of Primary Industry and Resource’s website.
- The landowners or occupiers have the right to refuse or withdrawal consent if the relevant land is being actively used for pastoral or other authorised activities that the land is intended; or if the fossicker has contravened a requirement of the MTA(r104, r105).
- Failure to obtain consent for entering onto or remaining on land where consent is required, may incur penalties (r107).